Matthew 18:3 – And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.
Except ye be converted like little children, Jesus didn’t say except ye be converted like Abraham, Moses or David.
So what is that children have that adults don’t? Few traits of children that instinctively came to my mind:
1) Little children are dependent: They are completely dependent on their parents. When in need, they cry expecting their parents to take care of them, no matter what the situation be. If only adults could be like children in their dependence on God. If only they can cry out in need, expecting answers from God. If only they can keep their ego’s aside and understand that independent of God their lives are never going to be productive and meaningful.
2) Little children are secure in their parents arms: You can carry your child to the greatest heights and he will never cry, you can toss him up in the air and he will laugh…enjoying it. Even in the midst of visible danger you child will never complain as long as he is in your arms. If adults can realize that they have the same kind of security in the arms of Jesus their lives will never be the same again. He can carry you through the crisis, the danger and the pain. He is the strong fortress that we can hide in.
3) Little children are Innocent: Innocence means, “when someone is not guilty of a crime, or does not have much experience of life and does not know about the bad things that happen in life.” Innocence is what makes the child cuddle up with his father or mother who spanked him a while ago. Children do not keep a record of wrong things done to them. Innocence is what makes them discard and forget every form of insult and disrespect met out to them.
4) Little children can be moulded: They are like lumps of clay that can be fashioned into anything that we desire. They can end up being anything that we like. They have superior absorbing quality than adults, they are open to learning and correction.
5) Little children are humble: They don’t understand pride. There is nothing they can brag-about in terms of achievements or qualifications.
Therefore Jesus says: convert like children, convert means to change in form, character and opinion. So convert from being worldly to being Godly; from filthy to being holy. Convert ye from being adults to being children to enter the Kindgom.